The heart of the village where all life is concentrating is its quiet bay
The village of Mochlos
The heart of the village where all life is concentrating is its quiet bay.
Mochlos is one of the few villages on Crete where you can eat on the seafront without being disturbed by motor traffic. Actually, there is a little road running along the sea but - to the delight of tourists and natives - the inn-keepers use it as extensions to their terraces. It persists as a pedestrian passage way between the tables and the sea. Long as it lasts!
During off-season, the village counts a good hundred inhabitants. 10% of the population are foreigners. This shows that travellers like Mochlos enormously. Be prepared of falling in love with the village, of having to return there every year as it has happened to many before!
Mochlos provides for anything necessary to spend a pleasant stay, without being obliged to drive a long way:
- Situated in the centre is 'Anne's and Yannis Mini-market'. There you can find all primary products, as well as fresh seasonal fruit and vegetables. The baker Dimitris Betinis delivers fresh bread every day about midday. During the tourist season the grocery store is open every day from morning to late evening (no business hours specified).
- A few steps away, you will find 'Amalthea' a shop of traditional products run by Marinella. 'FB page'
- The 'Fotini' shop located by the sea between the 'Sofia' tavern and the 'Kavouria' tavern. It is run by Spiros' sister who runs the Kavouria tavern. It is in this shop that you can find the Mochlos souvenir t-shirt.
- 'Chez Cécile' in the main street is run by Alex and Cécile a Frenchwoman who has lived in Crete for several years. They sell summer clothes and jewelry. 'FB page'
- 'Wood Works' in the main street, is run by a young craftsman from Mochlos who works with wood. His name is Yannis. 'FB page'
- 'Agora' next to Amalthea', summer clothes shop run by Alex.
- Should you wish to leave Mochlos and do not have a vehicle, you can contact one of the two taxi-drivers: Nikos at +30/69 76 63 07 29 or Kostas at +30/69 72 81 86 36.
- If you want to visit the Minoan site of the island without taking the risk of swimming there, we invite you to call on Giorgos, the owner of the 'Kochilia' tavern and his Mochlos Boat Tours. He will take you there for a few €. It is also possible to reach the island by swimming. The distance is about 250m, but the crossing is reserved for good swimmers. Despite a calm-looking sea, you may encounter rather strong currents which can carry you into open sea.
All inn-keepers speak English well, some even German or French. Do not hesitate to ask them for information. They will be happy to help. The legendary Cretan hospitality, here in Mochlos, is not an empty word !
The only small sandy beach of Mochlos is situated below the taverns. If you are not bothered by pebbles or rocks, you will find other beaches and coves at the East of the village, towards Sfaka. West of the village lies the small fishing-port of 'Limenaria' and two more small pebbly beaches. On the hills above the port is where we decided to create our little paradise.
We wish you a pleasant stay in Mochlos !
Marie and Marc from Belgium